Title of Program
Thai : หลักสูตรวิทยาศาสตรมหาบัณฑิต สาขาวิชาการเงิน
English : Master of Science Program in Finance
Title of Degree and Track
Thai : วิทยาศาสตรมหาบัณฑิต (การเงิน): วท.ม. (การเงิน)
English : Master of Science (Finance): M.S. (Finance)
This program was launched in order to create a link between finance and socio-cultural and economic development situations at the national, regional and particularly, ASEAN community levels. In preparing financial human resource and system for these emerging situations, the program contributes to education and knowledge of finance through research processes and/or in-class lectures and practical classes. Finance students are able to strengthen their ability in bridging theories and practices for situations on a self-integrated learning basis. The program will create platforms for students to exchange knowledge and experiences with other students and financial professionals with the aim to enable them to connect and integrate scientific knowledge of finance to other scientific fields consistently and appropriately in the national and international social contexts. The program also fosters students to be equipped with morals together with academic and professional ethics.
Modern finance is recognized as an essential discipline to build up and strengthen financial capacity of individuals and organizations to achieve sustainable development and wealth at a macro-level in the future. In light of this fact and the university’s core strategy under the 12th Phase of Education Development Plan (B.E. 2560-2564) of Chiang Mai University, the Master of Science in Finance program strives to produce qualified finance-oriented graduates with the equivalent standard of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Students in this program will receive solid training on financial professional practices and self-development. They will be enabled to apply and create new knowledge or innovation for financial problem-solving amidst the revolution of financial technology and the rapid changing economic environment. The program highly expects the students to perform their job within the frames of professional ethics, social responsibility, and accountability.
To produce the graduates who:
- Comprehend core concepts on finance to meet with the standards of CFA (Certificated Financial Analyst), CFP (Certified Financial Planner), and FRM (Financial Risk Manager).
- Are able to analyze problems applicable for national and international financial problem-solving.
- Are able to use quantitative research methods and Information Technology as the tools for effective decision making.
- Have productive communication skills, especially speaking and writing skills.
- Have virtue and ethics along with an awareness of being part of society and get involved in solving social problems.
- Officer in financial institutes such as commercial bank, insurance companies, securities companies or asset management companies
- Financial staff in business agencies
- Personal financial advisor
- Financial planner
- Investment advisor
- Finance academician
- Financial analyst
- Teaching staff at state and private universities
- Other related jobs
The Master of Science in Finance program is a 2-year graduate program. The period of study is divided into 4 semesters and students shall not exceed 5 academic years.
Plan 2 (Thesis) :
For degree completion, a student must earn a minimum of 43 total credits throughout the program: 12 credits for Thesis and at least 31 credits for coursework. Thesis Support Scholarship is available for the students in this plan.
Plan 3 (Independent Study) :
For degree completion, a student must earn a minimum of 43 total credits throughout the program: 6 credits for Independent Study and at least 37 credits for coursework. Coursework must consist of 11 required courses of the specific track and 4 elective courses in the field of finance.