Code of Ethics
||Section 1 Ethical Codes towards Oneself, Profession and Working Performance
- A person shall adhere to virtue and ethics. He/she shall have morality and behave oneself properly for being an officer of Chiang Mai University and to his/her position.
- A person shall be sensible, faithful, honest, and responsible for one’s profession by performing duties with honesty, transparency, and accountability, as well as prioritizing to national benefits rather than self-benefits, without conflict of interest. A person shall not seek for benefits in illegal way. In case of having professional codes of ethics, a person shall adhere to and act on his/her professional codes of ethics. Professional misconduct that the committee of the certain profession seriously adjudicates is considered as serious misconduct which shall be subject to the gross breach of disciplines.
- A person shall insist on rightness, righteousness, and legitimacy with positive attitude and develop oneself to be equipped with virtue and ethics as well as increase knowledge, capability and proficiency for the better performance and working efficiency.
- A person shall adhere to the democratic form of government with the King as Head of State and act on law, regulations, and traditions of the University and the government.
||Section 2 Ethnical Codes towards Organization
- A person shall adhere to aspiration of the University.
- A person shall perform duties with honesty and equality and without bias and conflict of interest.
- A person shall perform duties in full capacities with caution, rapidity, assiduity and rationality, as well as head for achievement and maintain performance standard and quality with the high concentration on bringing the utmost benefits to the University, the government, and public.
- A person shall be punctual and spend time during office hours to gain the utmost benefits to the University and the government.
- A person shall preserve and use properties of the University and of the government economically and worthily and beware of any damage or waste that may occur with the properties, as a person of ordinary prudence shall do with his/her property.
||Section 3 Ethnical Codes towards Supervisors, Subordinates, and Co-workers
- A person shall be responsible for his/her duties and cooperate with his/her team in expressing opinions, working together, and participating in troubleshooting process as well as providing suggestions that may be useful for job development.
- A supervisor shall pay attention to his/her subordinates with respect to working performance, moral support, and welfare, listen to their opinions, and supervise them with the good governance principles.
- A person shall support each other in the right way and promote the unity among co-workers to perform duties and develop the University’s activities with the high concentration on public interest.
- A person shall treat co-workers and other related persons with politeness, generosity, and friendliness and have good relationship to each other.
- A person shall refrain from claiming other’s work to be his/hers. Plagiarism is considered as serious misconduct which shall be subject to the gross breach of disciplines.
- A person shall encourage co-workers in the University to act on the code of ethics for officers of the University.
||Section 4 Ethnical Codes towards Students, Service Users, People, and Society
- A person shall serve students, service users, and people in full capacities with rapidity, equity, courtesy, generosity, polite manner and conversation, and gentleness and without discrimination. If he/she considers that he/she cannot respond to the request of students, service users and people or the request is beyond his/her responsibility, he/she should provide them the clear explanation or suggestions on the proper unit or the right person that can serve to their request.
- A person shall behave him/herself to be trustworthy for general people.
- A person shall refrain from receiving properties or other interests, of which values are too high for a person of ordinary prudence shall give to another under the gratitude act, from students, service users, people, or others who may gain benefit from a certain performance. If he/she received such a property, he/she must report, as soon as possible, to the supervisor for furthering a proper action. Act of calling for, receiving, or agreeing to take property or other interests from students, service users, or people to perform or to ignore to perform any task is considered as serious misconduct which shall be subject to the gross breach of disciplines.
- A person shall keep secret of students, service users, and people. Improper disclosing the secret of those that is given to the person as for being the person in charge or according to personal trust and that may bring disgrace on students, service users, or people, is considered as serious misconduct which shall be subject to the gross breach of disciplines.
- A person shall maintain relations with students, service users, and people as good friends. Sexual violation, sexual harassment or any of sexual annoyance or having sexual relation with a student who is not his/her spouse is considered as serious misconduct which shall be subject to the gross breach of disciplines.
- A person shall behave responsibly to students, service users, people, society, and the nation as well as provide complete and accurate information without any distort to students, service users, and people.
||Section 5 Ethnical Codes for Lecturers
- A lecturer must follow all ethical codes appeared in Section 1 – Section 5 strictly.
- A lecturer shall behave ethically as a respectable person and as a good role model for students and general people.
- A lecturer shall devote him/herself for students and education.
- A lecturer shall openly convey knowledge and experiences to students and co-workers.
- A lecturer shall educate and edify students to performing in accordance with legal acts and good social norms. Or a lecturer who guides or induces a student to perform an illegal act or an act that seriously violates social norms shall be considered as being against ethic which shall be subject to the gross breach of disciplines.
- A lecturer shall secure morality, ethics, generosity, and justice to students.
- A lecturer shall maintain relations with students as good friends and act as student’s supporter who encourages them to achieve academic advancement.
- A lecturer shall initiate ideas, be enthusiastic in seeking for knowledge, and be updated on academic and Information Technology advancement to make use of these matters to improve his/her teaching.
- A lecturer shall perform tasks responsibly under academic freedom in a good faith and freely from influences or any other interests.
- A lecturer must conduct a research in full compliance with the ethical codes for researchers.
- A lecturer shall serve the society by producing academic quality and standard works.
- A lecturer who has been approved to get academic knowledge enhanced by taking further education, attending in training or conducting research shall follow the relevant rules and regulations strictly.
Information from the Chiang Mai University Regulations
On the Code of Conducts for Officers of Chiang Mai University B.E.2554
Announced on 21 May 2011